I have an address and cell number now:
Tai Dinnan
c/o Patrick Mshana
LITI Tengeru
P.O. Box 3101
Arusha
Tanzania
Cell:255-753-819-450...it costs me nothing to recieve calls...haven't been able to figure out how expensive international calls are, but texting would be cheaper.
Everything is going well. It's hard to know what I should write about. There is one place to get internet in Tengeru. When I tried to go on Sunday, the network was down...so predictability is questionable. It is also dial up, so things are quite slow to load. Dad: definately no pictures please! Every email takes a while to upload. I had a great first weekend with my host family Mama Anna, Baba Patrick, Kaka Baraka, and Dada (actually the maid) Frida. There is another son and daughter but they are at school. Baraka is on vacation doing an AIDS awareness program in Arusha and goes to college in Tengeru, so is home more often. Saturday was busy with a trip further south to the family's shamba (farm). They will be moving there in May when Patric retires. We rode in their pick-up (standing in the back) down the bumpy roads. Most farms here are almost completely self sustainable and raise all the fruits, veggies, grains, fish, and livestock needed by the family. Later I went to Arusha with Baraka to do some errands for the family and go swimming! Many people here don't swim and the only pools are at the fancier hotels. After a canoe trip Baraka and his friends decided they needed to learn how. It felt amazing to cool off for the afternoon. It's been hotter than usual here...up to 34 C maybe? in the afternoon. Luckily, there is always a breeze, but the sun is so strong! Double digging...the practice advoated by my agriculture program takes a lot out of you in this climate! At least it cools down a bit at night and the mornings are nice. Two mornigns ago it was very clear and the view of Meru from my bedroom window and rising above the "demo plot." Little did I know this meant the day would be expecially hot...just in time for my double digging practical. We have almost finished my training and I will be traveling to a village every day next week to train a new group of farmers.
Ok, my time is up. Hope you are all well, I'll try to update soon, but no guarantees!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yay, Tai! It all sounds so interesting! I will be sure to call your cell phone next week when I am back in Italy (I am off to Ireland for a while). You are already learning so much and will continue to do so and then not realize half of what you have learned until you are back in the US. And your host family sounds so lovely, too.
Good luck with the heat, keep us all updated, I love reading about what you're experiencing. I would love some pictures, but I can settle for text : ) .
Love,
Marie
Tai-
Sounds like you are having a great time...except for the HEAT!! I am glad you like your host family! It is nice to get updates from you. I can't wait to see some pictures!!! We have been thinking about you! If people call what would be a good time for you???
XOXOX
Adrienne & John Mac
Binti! Asante sana for the update. The host family situation sounds great and it'll be fun as you fill in the details for us to imagine your life there. It also appears that you'll be getting a workout. Double-dig-it! What's the Ag. College at Tengeru like? Are you needing/learning Swahili? Is it a flat landscape where you are? Mapenzi sana! -Babba
Post a Comment