Hello everyone!
I arrived safely to Kilimanjaro airport after many hours of travel. I went through JFK and Amsterdam, so it was actually fairly direct. A Global Service Corps staff member Fatima came to pick me up at the airport in a taxi, and drove me to the hostel we are staying in for our first week, the Center House. We arrived around 9:30 to find out that my room had been given to another guest. They put me into a room in a different building (there are several). My room was meant for large groups, so I am sleeping alone with seven other beds and a bathroom to myself! I met the two other volunteers, Steve and Russel, at breakfast the next morning. Both had arrived several days before and had been exploring the town. Steve just finished school at Oregon St. in Biology and Russel is a "retired" nurse who seems to keep quite busy as a landlord among other things. They will both be working with groups regarding HIV/AIDS, while I will be working with groups regarding sustainable agriculture.
We set off to find the GSC office a bit after eight. Our map was not good, but we were fairly certain that we had found the correct location. Unfortunately, there was no sign of GSC. We asked a man in the street, who asked his friend, who brought us around the corner and asked another man. He made a phone call and told us the office had moved - he would bring drive us there. A man from Montreal (with a house in Isle le Mont, VT (sp?)) was sitting in the front seat, ready to go on Safari with our helper. He drove in the opposite direction, past the Center House, and dropped us at the new office.
We were greeted warmly by the GSC staff (who thought they had lost us...they had come to the Center House just after we left). We (staff, counterpart, and volunteers) introduced ourselves and began orientation. Everyone is very welcoming and happy. They shared their personal interests and backgrounds with us, and seemed genuinely interested in learning about us. The two directors from the San Francisco office are visiting so they participated along with a long-term intern/orientation coordinator, home-stay coordinator, office assistant, Tanzania GSC director, the two sustainable ag. trainers, the garden manager, and the counterpart for the HIV/AIDS group. I look forward to talking more to all of them, and feel greatful to be in such a supportive environment.
We had all our questions answered about how the program would be run and how our time would be organized, which was all very nice to know. We spent several hours on a walking tour of Arusha with Patrick, our counterpart (born on my same birthday, same year!). We stopped at a small restaurant for lunch where I ate ugali and beans - one of the local staples.
The second day was spent at the office, where we learned from a local doctor about the Tanzanian health care system, from several past counterparts about different tribes in the region (they each spoke about their own tribe), and from a leader of a local NGO about gender and empowering women.
Today, day three, we started at the office with our daily Swahili lesson, then visited Women in Action, the NGO we had learned about the day before. After eating lunch prepared by the garden manager in Tengeru, we visited the sustainable agriculture demo plot.
There is much I haven't said! I've been having a great time, have been learning a lot, and am surrounded by great people. Friday I am placed in my home stay and next week I start work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Jambo Bwans,
Sounds like your arrival has gone relatively smoothly. it is comforting to know that things seem well organized. I will be very interested in how your and the programs sustainable agriculture program works and what can be accomplished on an ongoing basis. one of the things Pop discovered in Mauritania was that teaching folks and getting them to appreciate how the concepts can and need to be sustained are two different things. Folks need to know and appreciate why not just how.
Enjoy and be safe.
Love Uncle John
That sould have read bwana not bwans. sorry.
Tai!!!
So excited to read your posts! My mom and I returned to Vermont last night from Paris (we had a great time). While we were traveling back we were thinking about you and your travels to AFRICA. Good luck, learn a lot, teach a lot, be safe and have fun! Thinking of you!
xoxoxo
Adrienne & John Mac
ballin
dj
Tai!
It sounds like everything is going pretty smoothly so far, which makes me very happy. I know we won't get to hear from you as often as we'd all like, but this blog is a great idea, and I'm hoping for as many updates as possible (although I know there will be much too much to fit into a blog)! And we're happy to know you're safe and set to start growing stuff like you do.:)
Everything is as usual here, don't worry about us. Just have fun, and take lots of pictures, and eat lots of delicious food (!), and come back with lots of great stories, hao ma? (haha, we're all so international!)
with all my loooove,
yookie-crisp
Binti: Relieved to hear that your transit went well and that your first impression of the GSC people is so positive! Fill us in when you can. Will you be with others on the sust. ag. project? How's the food? How're the mosquitoes? What's the view like? OK, sorry, enough for now. love sana, Babba
Post a Comment